Emergency Management

Posted on: October 12, 2017

FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

On Wednesday, October 11th, representatives from FEMA, GEMA, CEMA, and the City presented information about FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) to raise homes above the base flood elevation in flood zones. In a nutshell, if you live in a ground floor, non-FEMA FIRM home, you should qualify and consider applying!

This article is being updated over the next few days as we gather all the information and resources here for your benefit. Although the meeting announcement noted that these grants are available to homes built before 1971, in fact, any ground level home subject to disastrous flooding could qualify for one of these grants. The monies would come from a combination of sources, being FEMA, the State of Georgia, the City of Tybee, and the individual home owners. Bottom line to the home owner, 15% of the funds would need to be supplied by the home owner, whether out of their own pocket, via an independent loan, or by using the Increased Compliance Cost money for homes that have suffered significant damage and already have flood insurance. Note that HMGP grants do not have existing insurance as a pre-requisite, although after a home has been raised, keeping flood insurance in effect is one of the requirements.

You may review general information about the HMGP at the FEMA website at https://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program. More details about Tybee Island's participation in the program and requirements for applicants will be detailed here in the next couple of days. 

Some immediately relevant information:

  • Applicants must own the home in question
  • The City will engage contractors to inspect homes and who will determine qualification of homes for raising and the grant.
  • The City will also engage contractors who will perform the raising of the qualified homes.
  • Homeowners are not allowed to raise homes themselves and then apply for reimbursement afterwards. You must declare your intent to participate and then wait for the project to complete at your home.
  • To participate, you MUST file a "Notice of Voluntary Interest" form at City Hall. You may bring it in to the Cashier's Desk. This is ONLY a notification of interest, and does not commit the homeowner to full participation in the project - you may decline to participate at any time until money starts to be spent on your home. You may pick up the form at City Hall, or download by clicking this link.
  • Shortly, there will be an FAQ with many additional questions answered.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Emergency Management


2017 Hurricane Season

Posted on: June 1, 2017