GOLF CART REGISTRATION AND RENEWAL QUESTIONS? CALL 912-472-5089
RULES FOR MOTORIZED CART USE ON TYBEE ISLAND
The city allows motorized cart (i.e. golf cart) use under specific circumstances. Motorized Carts must be registered, display a T-Number, and operated only on certain streets.
Motorized Cart Registration Process
As of January 18, 2022, the city will be issuing new T-Numbers for motorized carts. Inspections and registrations will be completed at the South Annex, 1509 Strand Avenue (The old Marine Science Center).
Motorized Carts can be registered and inspected Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. All motorized carts operating on Tybee Island must have a new T-number and an inspection sticker. Anyone with an existing T-number will need to re-register their motorized cart and get a new T-number and inspection sticker. Those without a T-number will need to register their motorized carts and get a T-number and inspection sticker. The initial registration fee is $15.
All motorized carts must meet the criteria spelled out in the city ordinance in order to be registered. After that motorized cart must be inspected annually. No appointment is necessary for registrations or inspections.
To be eligible for registration, motorized carts must meet the following criteria;
- Owner must have a valid driver’s license.
- Owner must provide proof of insurance for motorized carts, showing the state minimum liability standards for automobiles. Home owners insurance policies will not be accepted.
- The motorized cart must have working headlights.
- The motorized cart must have working taillights.
- The motorized cart must have working brake lights.
- The motorized cart must have working turn signals.
- The motorized cart must have seat belts for each seat (2 seater = 2 seatbelts, 4 seater = 4 seatbelts, etc…).
- The motorized cart must have a working horn.
- The motorized cart must have a working amber/yellow, revolving/flashing light, visible from all directions.
- Maximum speed capability of any motorized cart must not exceed 20 miles per hour
Where Motorized Carts Are Allowed
Motorized Cart Rules
- Operational headlights, tail lights, brake lights, top-mounted amber flashing or rotating light, turn signals, horn, and seatbelts are required equipment.
- The maximum speed capability of any motorized cart must not exceed 20 miles per hour.
- All occupants must wear seatbelts at all times.
- Operation on sidewalks is prohibited.
- Operators must comply with all traffic regulations applicable to regular traffic.
- Only licensed drivers 16 years of age or older with minimum insurance of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $15,000 in liability insurance may operate these vehicles. Proof of insurance must be shown at registration and kept on or in the vehicle.
- All parking regulations must be followed; parking must be paid for via meter or decal. Parking decals for golf carts may only be purchased at the South Annex, 1509 Strand Avenue, at current rates (the free parking permits provided to local tax payers are not supplied for motorized carts).
- Violators subject to fine up to $1,000 or imprisonment up to 12 months!
Golf Cart Rules & Regulations (click link to see city ordinance)
Golf Cart Rules & Regulations (PDF version)