City Allows LIMITED Use of Golf Carts on City Streets
Motorized carts are not allowed to operate on Highway 80, and may only cross at designated streets: south of the Park of Seven Flags (i.e., you may NOT cross Butler at 16th/Tybrisa); at 14th Street; at Jones Avenue; and, at Campbell Avenue. Every cart MUST be registered with the TI Police Department for a fee of $15 (exact cash or card) and must display the numbered registration sticker.
Please visit TIPD at 78 Van Horn for your inspection for the below requirements. Inspections can be performed Monday through Friday, 8AM - 4PM.
- Operational headlights, tail lights, brake lights, top-mounted amber flasher or rotating light, turn signals, horn, and seatbelts are required equipment.
- Maximum speed must not exceed 20 miles per hour.
- All occupants must wear seatbelts at all times.
- Operation on sidewalks is prohibited.
- Operators must comply with all traffic regulations applicable to regular traffic.
- Only licensed drivers 16 years of age or older with minimum insurance of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $15,000 in liability insurance may operate these vehicles. Proof of insurance must be shown at registration and kept on or in the vehicle.
- All parking regulations must be followed; parking must be paid for via meter or decal. Parking decals for golf carts may only be purchased at City Hall at current rates – free parking permits provided to local tax payers are not supplied for motorized carts.
- Violators subject to fine up to $1,000 or imprisonment up to 12 months!
This page is available to download at https://www.cityoftybee.org/DocumentCenter/View/1691/Golf-Cart-requirements-illustration